Mulberry Muffins (recipe)

So after a bit of trial and error (and many batches -- I ate so many mulberries and mulberry muffins that I could probably seed another tree if I were to go camping right now... erm, never mind), I bring you the recipe for fresh mulberry muffins. Hopefully you're lucky enough to have a mulberry tree in your backyard, or have a friend who has one. If not, you'll have to go mulberry poaching in some stranger's yard. Or buy them at a local market. But don't blame me if you get caught doing the former. :)



Mulberry Muffin Recipe
(makes 12 regular or 6 jumbo muffins)

•1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
•3/4 cup sugar
•1/4 cup brown sugar
•1/2 tsp. baking powder
•pinch of salt
•1/2 cup sour cream
•1/2 cup milk
•2 tbsp applesauce
•1 egg
•1/2 tsp almond or vanilla extract
between 1/2 - 3/4 cups fresh mulberries, rinsed and drained (use as many as you want, up to 3/4 cup)

Preheat oven to 400º F (200º C). Grease 12 muffin cups or 6 jumbo muffin cups. If you use paper liners, give them a spray of cooking oil or non-stick oil like Pam. These things come out a bit dense, so they stick to ungreased paper.



Combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt). In a medium bowl, mix wet ingredients (sour cream, egg, milk, applesauce and extract). Stir in flour mixture until batter is smooth. Fold in mulberries (they tend to break easily, so be gentle with them). Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

Bake for 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack (or a paper plate like I did because I'm ghetto like that). Coat liberally with butter while still warm and enjoy the gooey, dense, cake-like goodness.



You may also like

8 comments:

  1. Oh, these look delightful! Thanks for sharing... wish you could really share, but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Those look yummy, I'll have to try some:) Found you through the Etsy forums, great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious... I am going to try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound delicious... I don't think I've ever eaten a mulberry, but the next time I see them I'll give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious :D

    xo
    Bianca

    http://www.biancaleblanc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Mulberry Muffins! I would be one who would be poaching in my neighbors yard for them. Thanks for joining Admirer Monday! We are so happy to have you on board.

    http://giveawayblogdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete